Isn’t it amazing we live in a land that celebrates America Ferrera once a year? (Wink, wink.)What is it about this lovely actress that is so endearing?
1) While she is a Latina in heritage she grew up in ‘The Valley’ going to more bar mitvahs than quinceaneras.
Originally posted on Projectlifesize.com
2) In her film debut, ‘Real Women Have Curves’ she was 18 and had no problem owning the role in which she strips off her clothes and dances around in her underwear celebrating her curves.
3) Smart Betty! I went to see her speak at the DGA in LA after the first season of ‘Ugly Betty’- she is so smart and composed. She wasn’t thrown by any of the questions and really had a strong voice of her own.
4) Well…there are some that say we kinda look-alike. When I went to see ‘Real Woman Have Curves’ the usher said ‘wow you are in the movie.’ I was like what? I’m Asian, she’s Latin…. and then she smiled and from the side I was like ‘holy crap!’ It was like looking at myself.
When I was at Yahoo! I used a pic of America as my avatar. One of the engineers commented I was so lucky I got to goto The Golden Globes. I started joking back that purple is my favorite color, then realized he’s an engineer, he really thought it was me. Ten minutes later I gave up on the back and forth explaining that it wasn’t and that’s why it was kinda funny. ‘But you look alike’ Uh huh. I love engineers but this did not compute.
5) America has a big heart and shares her life with a golden retriever named Jerry. Dog people rock! Congrats on your engagement America The Beautiful!
Happy Fourth of July!
Some might say dry snark can be petty and one note, but Jane Lynch now of Glee and those ads with Julia Louis-Dreyfus has made dry snark an art. I loved her as the mother of Will Farrell in ‘Talladega Nights’ and as the evil-desperately-clinging-to-her-youth step mother in ‘The Cinderella Story 2’ as she tormented the wonderful, sassy Selena Gomez.
It is her role as Sue Silvester on ‘Glee’ where she uses her snark to it’s peak of awesome. Here is real life openly gay Jane Lynch as Sue in one of the funniest pieces about ‘Sneaky Gays.’ Snark Jane Snark. Laugh at Jane’s snarking Bobby.
I went to a baby shower the other day. A party guest found out I’d worked in entertainment and asked me “on a gossip level, does Chris Martin really love Gwyneth Paltrow and if so why?”
F*ck the haters!
Wow. I mean that’s like when I worked at Disney Channel and people would ask me which character I got to be. Folks, I didn’t work at the theme park and just cause I worked in the music industry doesn’t mean I’m a mind-reader or inside the marriage of two very public figures who I happen to j’adore.
I can’t wait to see Gwyneth in “Iron Man 2” as Pepper is a fun part for her. I love GP best when she’s laughing like in Shakespeare in Love. She reminds me of my mentor who also went to Spence. It just feels like you are being let in on a secret.
What can I say that I haven’t before? Not much that isn’t already here. I feel sorry for celebrities who are out there just trying to do their jobs when there are all these hunters ready to hop down their throats. I’m going to be immodest here and say my ability to empathize with performers (be it authors, musicians or any other fabulous subject) makes me a good interviewer. I love the difficult seemingly ‘misunderstood’ people who turn out to be totally great in person.
It all comes down to looking below the surface and connecting with the beauty in people. When I was younger I used to easily vacillate like a South American “I Love you, I hate you” but the last couple of years have really weeded out who is who in my life and from what I’ve read and seen of GP being interviewed, we’ve gone through similar toxic friend issues. I heart Gwyneth and her GOOP newsletter 90% of the time seems to reflect things that are effecting my life including this week’s newsletter about how to conquer allergies. My poor lil French bulldog and I are achoo’ing this week so thanks once more GP. You are like the best virtual BFF ever. xx