Four years ago today a tiny batpig was born. She has become my best friend, my canine kid, my little alpha at times, who has the sweetest soul. Elle changed my life completely. She made me look at the world differently, notice new things about human nature and connect with people in the neighborhood. She brought me back to life after an ongoing hardship.
I am so lucky to have this little batpig in my life. From the first day we met, she nibbled on furniture, fingers and toes. She retains that playful spirit but prefers to chase sticks and toys, much to the relief of my toes. Happy Birthday Elle!
I decided to dedicate my tumblr to Elle since she is so photogenic. She’s already been reblogged by DailyFrenchie a couple of times so get your pictorial dose of the cutest Frenchie follow WhatTheElle!
@Rocknroll_ELLE is 1 (human years)/7 (dog years.) How amazing this sweet Frenchie is and I’m so lucky she doesn’t headbutt me and knock me out like Martha Stewart’s Frenchie, Francesca! Snorties. I’m so glad I found such a funny, sweet little source of joy and laughter.
It’s that time of year to contemplate where life has taken us in the last year. As we say goodbye to another year of recession failures, I wanted to focus on some of the highlights.
1. This will be the first time in at least a decade I’m going out on NYE. I’m feeling very happy these days and laughing a lot thanks to my clever little French Bulldog, Elle. She is hilarious, ever-changing and makes me laugh and go on adventures I never would have gone on without her.
2. My sister got married to a very nice man. I wrote an ‘Ode’ as I am prone to do for their wedding which allowed me to joke and triumph over his brother, the best man’s, speech.Sorry Chris (not really! :P) My dad wore a Top Hat and my mother picked out her dress with the help of David Tuterra, who was launching his new line of bridal gowns.
3. I used Twitter to expand my writing contacts. I have been able to write book reviews and interview authors I admire like @LizaPalmer for SheKnows.com. It helps me grow as a writer to hear from other writers and doubly as an interviewer because of the line of questions being different from musicians.
4. A new job that is so new I only just sent out an email to my contacts last week. It’s nice to feel like I am in the right place for a change.
5. All the amazing folks who answered my ‘5 Questions’ – you all blow my mind. Thank you for your words and sharing your knowledge.
Top Film: Inception. Are you shocked it’s not The Social Network? Mmm, Armie Hammer, but it’s fine to see the synapses firing of someone else, during Inception, my own were ignited and invited down a tunnel that will no doubt be repeated in the future.
Action film:Piranha 3-D over The Expendables, which was just sorely lacking. I enjoyed Iron Man 2, but Piranha was the perfect mixture of a great summer movie with saucy bits that left you wanting more.
Book: This is tough but I’m going to say Just Kids by Patti Smith for memoir and then ‘cheat’ with best satire Dear Money by Martha McPhee. Smith’s book was not only a twisted rock love story, it was an homage to New York in the 70’s which inspired me.
TV: Modern Family. This is a home run of laughs every episode!
Concert: Jazz at Lincoln Center with my homegirl Karen. We were right on stage. It was pretty amazing.
Farewell 2010, you were full of highs and lows but once Elle came along it was mostly highs. xx Grrlgenius
Happy Holidays to Everyone! This post may be early, late or right on time but either way if you’ve been wondering why my posts dropped off in December, I started a new job. Elle is very well taken care of and we still have loads of adventures which prevents me from coming home and turning into a couch monster. If you are a big fan of @Rocknroll_ELLE , you know wherever I go she enchants people, including the new office as a star of the video holiday card I produced. Hope you like it!
Hurrah how I love seeing new things and this year it included the amazing insanity that is the Dyker Heights’ Lights, which apparently draws nearly 100K visitors to that area of Brooklyn each season. We luckily went at ten P.M. on a Sunday night so there was plenty of parking and only out of town license plates. Here’s what Elle and I have been up to the past couple of days and we hope you enjoy it.