Some may call them guilty pleasures, but I never apologize for a song catching my ear. I love music loud, proud, silly, serious in all it’s glory. Yes, there is a pile of craptastic out there, but if it moves you, I’m not going to judge you. Here’s some of my ‘oh no really?’ yeah, seriously’ choices at the moment:
1. Justin Bieber “One Less Lonely Girl” I love the idea of this. There are so many single ladies I know that are truly fantastic, this is the perfect sweet cute idea. A lucky girl is no longer lonely. It’s not exactly a Miss Independant moment, but I know plenty of women who’s jaded hearts would be melted by such an approach (though probably doubt the sincerity.) It works on Justin, it’s age appropriate, although it’s still odd to me why he would be spending 48 hours with Diddy. Raw footage of Diddy is never very compelling. It always seems like Diddy is trying to sell something or prove he is ‘down with the people’ showing off Ferraris. Whacktastic.
2. Lady Gaga “Bad Romance” the often maligned Gaga takes a fantastic Haus of Gaga to the Bath Haus keeping it dirty, club worthy and absolutely absurdly over-the-top. She wants your love and she’s not afraid if it comes with STDs. An egomaniac in the vein of Madonna, she loves her unconventional hotness and has learned to avoid the rotating silver orbs that plagued her when she tried to play piano on SNL. Shake that booty!
3. John Mayer audio live version of ‘Half Of My Heart’ Yeah, we all know John is a “douche.” I can’t stand that term but it fits him. Whatever for his insanity as the loveable jackass who is a player and screws over any famous woman dumb enough to date him. He did immortalize J.Love Hewitt, break Team Aniniston’s dirty bird needs and keep Jessica Simpson guessing which end was up. The point is, after Continuem I was like, ugh Mayer is getting lame musically. What happend to ‘Room For Squares’ which got me through the month after Sept. 11th. In a live vs. recorded Taylor Swift version, this one wins. Tay’s vocals don’t even show up til the last 1/4 of the song and he certainly doesn’t need her guitar skills but he is playing Madonna and courting a younger audience so go for it Johnny Boy.
4. Leighton Meester feat. Robin Thicke “Somebody To Love” makes me giggle. In the video, the offspring of a mother who served prison time, looks like any other vapid club girl who is terminally bored, uses sex as a way to pass a few minutes and is all bones. Mr. Thicke , oh yeah, we love Robin, actually sings that she is approaching him like a PUDDY CAT…..no, Robin WTF? Well, he even makes that sound smooth and then goes on to promise to buy this club wench a pair of shoes! Shoes? Well if that isn’t proof of true love then hell what’s a fornicating club rat doing wrong?
Poor Britney, she should take note that her lackluster video for the equally lackluster cast off single ‘3’ the only new song on her ‘Singles’ offering, should have been club and limo writhing like this instead of trying to be a dance routine where she hangs on a bar and badly lip syncs. You are the master of the lip-sync…..sigh, I’m too bummed out by that video, let’s get back to Leighton. Sing in French Baby Girl.
5. Miley Cyrus “Party In The USA” this just won’t die for me. Every time I hear it, I gotta swing my hips like WOAH get to a chiropractor!
I am also a HUGE fan of Ms. Pixie Lott, who I’ve mentioned before and the girl has a great set of pipes. She totally dresses sparkley, fun and reminds me of my dear friend, Sam who lives in London. I think some stylist must follow Sam on Facebook and stole her look for Pixie. “A good beat never hurt no one” and that’s damn right in the song “Boys And Girls.”
Finally, if you haven’t said “Yes” to Snow Patrol’s latest single? WHY NOT? It’s superfanstasical.
All I can say is I’m dancing now. Happy Hump Day!