Miley Cyrus has been on my mind a lot this August with her hit “Party In The USA” an unstoppable gail force in my mind on repeat. Then she was swinging her hips, um yeah, at the Teen Choice Awards on an ice cream stripper pole…hmm, who’s head is in the gutter here protesting parents? Are you the same people who film your kids singing Flo Rida? (and yes those who know/love me will notice this dude mentions how George Michael’s “I Want Your Sex” video was banned back in the day & how I love that.)
As a former Disney Cast Member (aka employee it’s a Mouse House thang), I did have a raised eyebrow during her hip thrusts, but in the end, for me everything can simply be explained away with ‘She’s just being Miley’ from her song “See You Again,” which was the first song that caught my pop-loving ears. I couldn’t get enough of it.
Yes, I’ve always had an affinity for the brighter side of life. As a music programmer I was often dubbed the Teen Queen, but that doesn’t mean my taste didn’t evolve as my positions at work did the same so after eight years of music programming and a degree in music, I can tell you there is nothing wrong with the saucy greatness of Miley! She comes from a musical family as we all know her dad’s hit “Achy Breaky Heart” and her step-brother Trace’s band Metrostation…oh come on now, I know you’ve found your own hips have a will of their own once “Shake It” comes on the radio.
Back to Miley though, now there is an even bigger sign that Miley will make it from teen star to bonafide popstar in her own right. No, I’m not talking about Vh1 including her in their annual Divas show, which this year seems to ‘kiss the ring’ belonging to Sony (Leona, Adele, Kelly Clarkson and Jordin Sparks?!) minus Miley. I’m talking about Miley crossing over to the Fire Island Gay set!
The recipe is 1 part “Party In The USA”, plus a dash of beach, add five gays in rainbow colored bathing suits splashing around like Sandy in ‘Grease’ minus the rhythm, blend with film frames to move from one scene to the next and you have “Fire Island Pines” aka Miley’s Expansion Into Main Gay America! :
The seven things I like about Miley….
1) Her voice, it has depth to it
2) She quit the addiction that is Twitter and made a craptastic rap video about why she left:
3) Walmart line just launched with the wonderfully talented Max Azaria and pieces are already sold out. There are pieces that are $10 bucks! Hello, if I were a small person I could get that with my allowance.
4) Vanity Fair cover was shot by Annie Leibovitz, who also was the last person to photograph John Lennon, one of Miley’s musical loves. Miley also apologized for adults who took advantage of her while she’s just being a teen growing up in the spotlight.
5) Hannah Montana- sticking it out for season four even when the mouse house was gun shy on support for her Teen Choice controversy.
6) She sparked a dance battle on YouTube that had millions of views worldwide (youtube Miley & Mandy show)
7) A triple threat, Miley is the only one ever nominated for Teen Choice Awards in TV, Music & Film.