It’s that time of year to contemplate where life has taken us in the last year. As we say goodbye to another year of recession failures, I wanted to focus on some of the highlights.
1. This will be the first time in at least a decade I’m going out on NYE. I’m feeling very happy these days and laughing a lot thanks to my clever little French Bulldog, Elle. She is hilarious, ever-changing and makes me laugh and go on adventures I never would have gone on without her.
2. My sister got married to a very nice man. I wrote an ‘Ode’ as I am prone to do for their wedding which allowed me to joke and triumph over his brother, the best man’s, speech.Sorry Chris (not really! :P) My dad wore a Top Hat and my mother picked out her dress with the help of David Tuterra, who was launching his new line of bridal gowns.
3. I used Twitter to expand my writing contacts. I have been able to write book reviews and interview authors I admire like @LizaPalmer for SheKnows.com. It helps me grow as a writer to hear from other writers and doubly as an interviewer because of the line of questions being different from musicians.
4. A new job that is so new I only just sent out an email to my contacts last week. It’s nice to feel like I am in the right place for a change.
5. All the amazing folks who answered my ’5 Questions’ – you all blow my mind. Thank you for your words and sharing your knowledge.
Top Film: Inception. Are you shocked it’s not The Social Network? Mmm, Armie Hammer, but it’s fine to see the synapses firing of someone else, during Inception, my own were ignited and invited down a tunnel that will no doubt be repeated in the future.
Action film:Piranha 3-D over The Expendables, which was just sorely lacking. I enjoyed Iron Man 2, but Piranha was the perfect mixture of a great summer movie with saucy bits that left you wanting more.
Book: This is tough but I’m going to say Just Kids by Patti Smith for memoir and then ‘cheat’ with best satire Dear Money by Martha McPhee. Smith’s book was not only a twisted rock love story, it was an homage to New York in the 70′s which inspired me.
TV: Modern Family. This is a home run of laughs every episode!
Concert: Jazz at Lincoln Center with my homegirl Karen. We were right on stage. It was pretty amazing.
Farewell 2010, you were full of highs and lows but once Elle came along it was mostly highs. xx Grrlgenius